Frequently Asked Questions

Here are answers to common questions regarding Shoreline Fire Department. Please review the FAQ to see if your question is answered. If you still have questions, you can give us a call at (206) 533-6500.

How do I sign up for a CPR class?

See CPR Classes for more information.

Can I get my blood pressure checked at fire stations in Shoreline?

Yes, you can stop by any station, 7 days a week, from 8:00am to 5:00pm. The stations have complimentary blood pressure cards to give you a record of your blood pressure checks.

Does Shoreline Fire inspect or install infant car seats?

Yes! Shoreline Fire Department has a National Child Passenger Safety Certified Technician to teach Shoreline and Woodway residents how to install car seats correctly. Please call 206.533.6564 to schedule an appointment. Non-residents may call: (425) 828-8975 or 800-BUCK-L-UP or Email:

Do you accept used needles/sharps at local Fire Stations?

No. Please contact Shoreline Recycling and Transfer Station. They accept sharps in approved, hazardous waste containers. 2300 N 165th Street, (206) 477-4466.

Shoreline Firefighters took me to the hospital in an Aid Car, and I have questions about the bill I received.

We contract with a company called Systems Design for our medical transport billing. Contact them at: 1-800-238-9398. They will answer your questions and assist you with any financial hardship issues.

Do you refill and recharge fire extinguishers?

No. That can be done by private companies that specialize in extinguishers. However, if you have questions about your extinguisher, or about home fire safety in general, please contact our Fire Marshal’s Office at (206) 533-6565 or

Does Shoreline Fire allow outdoor burning?

Puget Sound Clean Air Agency (PSCAA) regulates indoor and outdoor burning in the urban areas of King County. Shoreline Fire works closely with PSCAA to help enforce outdoor burning regulations. The burning of yard debris, construction materials, or trash is not allowed at any time. For more information on indoor and outdoor burning restrictions, call PSCAA at (206) 343-8800 or visit them on the web at Puget Sound Clean Air Agency. Updated burn ban information is always available from their hotline: 1.800.595.4341.

Is there a burn ban in effect?

Contact Puget Sound Clean Air Agency (PSCAA) to determine if a burn ban is in effect or call 800.595.4341Click here for more information on how to file a complaint.

My neighbor is burning in their backyard. Is it legal? Should I call 9-1-1?

For more information on burning regulations, view our information bulletin on Recreational and Cooking Fire Regulations.

There is dark, heavy smoke coming from my neighbor's chimney. Who can I call?

Contact Puget Sound Clean Air Agency (PSCAA) or call (206) 343-8800.

Are fireworks legal in Shoreline?

No, they are BANNED in Shoreline. Please call surrounding cities for their current ordinance regarding fireworks.

There are kids playing with fireworks near my house / My neighbor has been lighting fireworks late at night. Who can I call to complain?

Please call Shoreline Police at (206) 801-2701. Dial 9-1-1 if there is a firework related injury and/or fire.

Do your firefighters rescue cats from trees?

People often think we rescue cats from trees, but we rarely do this. Our mission is to protect human life and property, and to respond to fire, medical and rescue emergencies for our residents. We rely on tree experts and arborists to help with cat-in-tree incidents. Animal rescue and shelter organizations will provide referrals. Another excellent resource is www.canopycatrescue or call (253) 324-0524.

Do you have record of a residential oil tank being decommissioned?

The Fire Marshal’s Office has record of tanks being decommissioned from January 2004 through the present day.  Please have the address available when calling the Fire Marshal’s Office for tank decommissioning information.  If you believe a tank was decommissioned before January 2004, the City of Shoreline will have tank decommissioning records from approximately 1996 through December 2003.  Questions regarding commercial tanks should be directed to the City of Shoreline (206) 801-2500.

I have been contacted by a group asking for donations to the Washington State Council of Firefighters (WSCFF). Does that money go directly to the fire departments?

No, the money does not directly benefit Shoreline Fire Department. Part of that money is used for lobbying issues in Olympia on behalf of firefighters and their safety. The other portion is paid to the company who does the soliciting on behalf of the WSCFF. If you have any complaints or would like more information, you may contact the WSCFF directly at 1-800-572-5762, or visit them online at The Shoreline Fire Department does not call residents to ask for donations of any kind.

Why do so many fire rigs respond to some incidents?

Shoreline Fire units are dispatched according to the information provided to the 9-1-1 emergency dispatcher. We have developed response plans based upon the resources that could be necessary for each type of event. For example:  a cardiac arrest call requires at least seven, and ideally even more personnel. Our goal is to have firefighters arrive in five minutes or less. The first arriving vehicle may be an engine, an aid car, a rescue truck, or a command staff vehicle. The first arriving crew will set up a plan of action and communicate this plan to other responding units—which could include more engines, a medic unit, and perhaps another Command Unit or MSO (medical services officer) rig.

The house next door has overgrown grass/brush, etc. Who can I call?

Call the City of Shoreline, Customer Response Team (CRT) at (206) 801-2700.

I am opening a licensed family daycare. How do I schedule a visit from the fire department?

Please email Michelle Pidduck at